Open position at FBK-IRVAPP
The FBK-IRVAPP (Research Institute for the Evaluation of Public Policies) is located in Trento (Italy). Its scientific mission includes the evaluation of public policies, as well as the dissemination of findings from this research, the promotion of a culture of policy evaluation and the training of policy evaluators and policy makers. FBK-IRVAPP is part of FBK – Fondazione Bruno Kessler.
The Institute primarily conducts empirical research, focusing on counterfactual analysis of the causal effects of public policies and on microsimulations using administrative data. The current research activities include the analysis of public policies and programs in the areas of education, labor market, industrial and innovation policy, welfare and social policy. The institute is interested in expanding its portfolio to other themes, including environmental and health policies.
The institute invites applications from researchers with a PhD, or an equivalent of 3 years post-master’s experience, to contribute to its institutional activity.
This is an excellent opportunity for candidates with a background in the social sciences (economics, political science, sociology, statistics or related disciplines) and an interest in the evaluation of public policies and the promotion of evidence-based policy making.
The FBK-IRVAPP is looking for a candidate that has documented experience of using quantitative research methods and, in particular, in the analysis of micro-data deriving both from sample surveys and social registers, as well as in the use of counterfactual impact evaluation methods.
The candidate should have a strong understanding of the general methodological issues related to the quantitative analysis of policy impact and be interested in carrying out research regarding the counterfactual evaluation of public policies in the policy areas covered by IRVAPP.
The candidate is expected to:
- Assume duties and responsibilities appropriate to the appointment as may be assigned to him/her by the Governing bodies of the Institute;
- collaborate closely with the Director, and other researchers on specific projects;
- prepare reports as well as journal and conference papers on the research work done;
- present results at scientific meetings and conferences;
- contribute to the preparation of bids for additional competitive national and international research funding awards;
- any other duties as may be assigned by the Director from time to time.
The ideal candidate should have:
- PhD in a Social Science field (Economics, Political Science, Sociology, Statistics or related disciplines) or an equivalent of 3 years post-master’s experience;
- a strong substantive knowledge of one or more policy areas;
- demonstrated interest in the evaluation of public policies;
- relevant publication activity in the fields of the call;
- strong working knowledge of Stata and, possibly, R;
- oral and written proficiency in English;
- oral and written proficiency in Italian. If no already proficient in Italian, commitment to acquire it on the job;
- interpersonal skills and willingness to work effectively in a team, as well as independently.
- Good programming skills;
- experience of organizing academic workshops or similar events;
- commitment to rigorous scientific research;
- documented international research experience;
- time management, planning and organizational skills.
Type of contract: fixed-term contract
Working hours: full-time (38 h per week)
Gross annual salary: about € 41.400
Start date: preferably February 2024
Duration: 36 months
Workplace: Trento (Italy)
Benefits: flexi-time, company subsidized cafeteria or meal vouchers, internal car park, welcome office support for visa formalities, accommodation etc., supplementary pension and health fund, training courses, public transport, sports facilities, language courses fees. Further details at https://www.welfarefbk.info/.
Interested candidates are requested to submit their application by completing the online form (https://jobs.fbk.eu/).
Please make sure that your application contains the following attachments (in pdf format):
- detailed CV (including list of publications, statement of research interest and the name of two referees);
- Cover Letter (explaining your motivation for this specific position).
Application deadline: 30th November, 2023